Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day

Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day - Winifred Watson

Publisher's Description: Miss Pettigrew, an approaching middle-age governess, was accustomed to a household of unruly English children. When her employment agency sends her to the wrong address, her life takes an unexpected turn. The alluring nightclub singer, Delysia LaFosse, becomes her new employer, and Miss Pettigrew encounters a kind of glamour that she had only met before at the movies. Over the course of a single day, both women are changed forever.

My Thoughts: Meet Miss Pettigrew, a middle-aged spinster governess who has been so beaten down by a succession of overbearing employers that her confidence and self-esteem are at an all-time low. This is perhaps her last opportunity of gaining employment in what she mistakenly thinks is a post for governess. Delysia thinks Miss Pettigrew is answering her advertisement for a maid but clearly needs help to untangle all the problems with the men in her life, so the fun begins. Before the misunderstanding can be cleared up both have decided that they need and value each other tremendously and they most definitely must remain together.

I absolutely adored this very charming, old-fashioned Cinderella style adult fairy tale. How could one not love Miss Pettigrew's innate wisdom coupled with the glamour and antics of her 'new friends'. I loved it so much that immediately upon finishing I started it all over again. A true delight!

I discovered that they made a movie about this book so had to find and watch it. Sadly, it was only loosely based on the book and lost a lot of the truly fun parts of how Miss Pettigrew handled some tricky situations that Delysia and her friends found themselves in. While the movie was cute, it just, in my humble opinion, didn't measure up to this wonderful book.