A Dance to the Music of Time: 2nd Movement

A Dance to the Music of Time: 2nd Movement - Anthony Powell

Completing The 2nd Movement brings me to the half way point in Powell’s epic 12-book novel, A Dance to The Music of Time, and I find that I’m growing more and more enthralled with this novel the more I read of it. While the first 3 books, which make up the 1st Movement, deal with our narrator’s early life at school and young adulthood the 2nd Movement deals more with the various characters as they mature, their careers, marriages, infidelities and, for some, divorces in the years leading up to WW2. Powell portrays the changes in society during the years between the two wars with such vivid clarity that the reader is also drawn back in time and feels familiar there, that we too have seen those changes, have lived them, have suffered through them. As we learn more about each character we recognize them instantly as people we also know, we laugh with them, we cry with them and we feel anger and disdain for others. There are some excellent reviews of this novel that give you a in-depth and thoughtful critique, mine is simply my reaction and an encouragement to read this wonderful work. Suffice it to say, this novel is superb!

Originally published on www.chapterofdreams.com