Midnight's Children

Midnight's Children - Salman Rushdie

Synopsis: "Saleem Sinai was born at midnight, the midnight of India's independence, and finds himself mysteriously 'handcuffed to history' by the coincidence. He is one of 1,001 children born at the midnight hour, each of them endowed with an extraordinary talent -- and whose privilege and curse it is to be both master and victims of their times. Through Saleem's gifts -- inner voices and a wildly sensitive sense of smell -- we are drawn into a fascinating family saga set against the vast, colourful background of the India of this century."

My thoughts:  Wow! There were cultural references that I did not totally understand, but that simply did not matter to my love for this book. Rushdie married his nation's history with the history of his family and the result was pure magic! There will be times you'll want to pull your hair out trying to figure out what he meant, but don't worry, it'll grow back and you'll begin to see how the events in our narrator's life reflect what is happening in India's fight for independence from England.

There is no one better than Rushdie to give you an idea of what the book is about and at long last, the book has been made into a movie which was adapted and narrated by Salman Rushdie himself.  To see a trailer of the movie just click on the following link.  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1714866/ I haven't seen the movie yet so can't comment on how closely it follows the book but with Rushdie writing the screenplay we at least know it can't stray too far from the premise of the book.

If you haven't yet read Midnight's Children, I can't encourage you enough to do so. The book is magically brilliant!!!

Originally published on www.chapterofdreams.com